How To Tax A Car Without A V5

Taxing your car using your V11 reminder or log book is relatively straightforward but how do you tax a car without a V5? Within this article, we walk you through the entire process.

Tweet Pin It
how to tax a car without v5
YourCar is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Find out more.

Although it’s recommended that you always have a log book, there are scenarios where you may not have it to hand. For example, you may have bought a car where the previous owner didn’t have the log book or you’ve simply lost it.

If you don’t have the log book, you may be wondering how you are going to tax your car. However, below we walk you through the steps you can take to tax your car without a log book so that you can legally drive it on the road.

How To Tax A Car Without A Log Book?

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to tax a car without a log book (V5C) unless you have the tax reminder (V11) or new keeper supplement (V5C/2). However, the fastest way to tax a car without a log book, V11 or V5C/2 is to apply for a replacement V5C online.

By completing the application online, you should receive a replacement V5C within 5 working days. This means that you should be able to tax your car your car as soon as the new V5C document arrives at your door.

It’s crucial that you apply for a new log book online as opposed to using the postal/phone service because otherwise, you may be waiting up to 6 weeks for it to arrive.

Taxing The Car With The V11 Tax Reminder

If you are the registered keeper of the car, you’ll receive a V11 tax reminder once the car’s tax has less than a month before it expires. As long as you have the V11, you’ll be able to tax your car without the log book because it’ll have a unique 16 digit reference number that you can input into the government’s online vehicle tax service.

What Is A V11?

If you don’t know what a V11 tax reminder document is in the first place, it looks like the piece of paper in the image below. It’s a single page document that features a 16 digit reference number that can be used to tax your car.

The V11 reminder document enables you to tax your car without a V5 but you must be the registered keeper. On the V11, the 16 digit reference number is located halfway down the page and you’ll need to enter the number into the government’s online vehicle tax service as mentioned above.

However, it’s important to note that you’ll only receive a V11 if the car has been taxed and it’s about to expire (it’s usually sent out a month before the expiry). If the car you want to tax has been declared as SORN, you won’t receive a V11.

what is a v11 reminder

My V11 Didn’t Arrive

If you are the registered keeper of your car but the V11 tax reminder document didn’t arrive, you may want to get in touch with the DVLA. If the V11 didn’t arrive, this would indicate that the DLVA doesn’t have an up to date address for you. Luckily, you can update your address upon your log book relatively easily using the government’s online service.

Can I Tax My Car While Waiting For The Log Book?

If you’ve just bought a new car and you want to begin driving it straightaway on the public road, you’ll need to tax it. However, if you’ve sent off the log book, you won’t have a unique reference number in order to tax the car.

Therefore, if you want to tax your car while waiting for the log book to arrive in your name, it’s crucial that you tear off the “new keepers” (V5C/2) section from the log book before you send it off (as shown in the image below).

Upon the new keeper supplement (also referred to as a “green slip”), you’ll see a 12 digit reference number, which is a unique reference to your new car. You can use this reference number to tax your car without the log book upon the government’s online vehicle tax service. To use the service to tax your car without a V5, select that you don’t have a V11 and then select the checkbox that states “I have the V5C/2 new keeper supplement (green slip)”. You’ll then need to enter the car’s registration number along with the 12 digit reference number from the V5C/2 in order to tax the car.

can i tax my car while waiting for log book


Whether you’ve lost your log book or your log book hasn’t arrived in the first place, trying to sort out a replacement V5C can be a stressful task. However, as long as you complete the replacement online, it’s relatively easy to do and it means that you should be able to tax your car within 5 working days. Whilst you are waiting for the replacement to arrive, it’s important that you avoid driving on the public road if the car isn’t taxed because you’ll face a fine if you are caught.

If you require further information regarding taxing your car without a V5, feel free to get in touch and we will try to provide our assistance where possible.

YourCar Author Dan

Written By Dan

Dan has been a car enthusiast ever since he can remember and has an extensive range of cars that include classic cars that he has restored himself from a barn find condition to modern performance cars. Whether you need advice on how to install car parts or recommendations on what products to buy, Dan’s first-hand experience will certainly help.

If you want to find out more about Dan, our testing process or the website itself, visit our about page for further information.

Follow #YourCarUK

Copyright © 2022. All rights reserved.